Sunday, September 25, 2011

Honda Rebel Cafe Racer

It all started MONTHS ago. I was pregnant. We were clearing out the third room for the baby's stuff. I was packing away old pictures, and I came across a photo of me with the motorcycle my parents gave me for Christmas 14 or so years ago. It was like a 1978 Kawasaki. It was blue. And it had a ginormous banana seat.

I wanted a cruiser. A mid-eighties Honda Rebel. Preferably a 450, but a 250 would suffice.

I got a banana seat. I hated it, but it was a gift from my parents so I had to act like I loved it. Seriously, I hated it.

So when I bought my own bike, I bought a Rebel.

And I was ECSTATIC!

And then, like I said, a few months ago, I saw the picture of me with the blue banana boat bike, and I thought, "Huh. That's not so bad."

And then I saw a Triumph on the road, and I thought, "Huh. That's not so bad."

And then I saw another one. And another one. And each time I was genuinely surprised by my reaction. "Huh. That looks kinda cool." WTF?! No. Cafe racers are NOT cool. CRUISERS are cool. BAGGERS are the coolest.

What's wrong with me?!

And then today we were at Motoworld and got the opportunity to talk to our old friend Ray (aka Mike) and I admitted out loud that I really kind of like the cafe racer. And Mike said, "Check out the Kawasaki."

So tonight, Chris and I were Googling like mad the Triumph Bonneville, the Kawasaki version and "Honda Rebel Cafe Racer Conversion."

And after waiting over a year for my white bagger, I've asked him to build me a cafe racer.

AND I'M SO EXCITED!

Hopefully the cafe racer will be an easier task than the bagger and it'll get done before 2012...but hopefully my writing about it doesn't jinx it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment